I made this

A while back, during a Jomar trip, I picked up a yard of orange brocade. I knew exactly what I wanted to use it for, and, holy crap, I finally made the item. What’s better is that I made the item with only two glaring problems that I can identify. On most of my projects, the problems, mistakes, and straight up stupid moves are many. This was a triumph.

I made [what I’m currently calling] a workshop skirt, and it’s for belly dance. It’s basically an apron with the pockets on the inside, so that I can keep a note pad on my person during workshops, classes, and general practice. I find that avoiding my notepad and those of others, lying on the floor, during a really good class really distracts me from what I’m learning and is kind of dangerous. More than once, I’ve gotten lost in my dance (the good kind of lost)  and slipped on the paper or a pencil. As a bonus, I can slip my phone or 2nd generation iPod inside so that I don’t have to hold them while I’m practicing with music. I normally use my arm band with the iPod, but my arms always get wrapped up in the super long cord.

Construction was relatively easy and it only took a few hours, since I’d already had it designed in my head for months. Mistake number one was that I cut the brocade in the wrong direction. The little dragons are traveling vertically, rather than horizontally. That won’t be a problem as long as I pay attention on the next one. Mistake number two could be solved a couple of ways–the brocade doesn’t lay flat against the lining. I could have either pinned them together in the center during machine basting, or I could have interfaced the brocade to make it stiffer/heavier. I think interfacing will be the solution for the next one, since I want the skirt to stay down. The skirt has generous ties on the sides so that it can be adjusted to fit over anything at my current size. The wide ties are also nice for controlling some of my sub-button belly.




My biggest problem now is that I don’t know what to do with the rest of the brocade. I’m considering making another two to sell, but I want to get good use out of this one before I commit to that. I also thought about making a matching bra top, but that would mean making a custom fit bra, constructed well enough to dance in. It’s a mountain that I’m preparing to climb, but I’m not quite ready yet.

Anyway, the piece is done, and I love it. I received a lot of knit fabric in that donation from my grandmother last month, so I want to make a pair of low rise dance pants with a matching top. I’ll keep you posted on that one.

Thanks for reading!

Author: SciFiCheerGirl

Hobby costumer, wife, and mom with a dancey-dance problem and a hankerin' for moar books

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: