Too much work to do

The wedding has come and gone, and life can go on as before.  I did not have it in me to pull my current project(s) out as soon as we got back.  I have to thank my husband for giving me something to work on to get the creative juices flowing again.  His Ravens themed modern kilt took one week to finish–keeping in mind that I work a full-time job and have to make time to go to the gym and make appearances to random family members.  He found a modern kilt manual at xmarksthescot.com, and I started on the project the same day.  The kilt is made of black cotton twill; I made the Ravens patches out of a t-shirt and some duck cloth.  It was a success, and the husband was able to debut the item at yesterday’s Fair Hill Scottish Games.  The Ravens head got some positive reactions, now we just need to score some tickets with it.

RavensFredKiltRavensKiltSide

Today, I will also feature a guest creator: a friend of ours who went to yesterday’s event and brought her puppy, Darwin, decked out in his own kilt.  With fabric, velcro, and fabric glue, the kilt was a hit, and Darwin wore the piece for most of the day.

DarwinKiltie

Now that I have the will to sew for fun again, I am going to get back to work on my gold gown for opening day, which is on August 8.  I have to make some length adjustments to the corset that I started and finish that.  Next, I will re-fit the disaster smock.  Then, I will jump right into the gown; I am shooting for June 1 on the start date.  Ideally, I will have enough time to make a partlet and the beaded caul that I have been dreaming about.  I am trying not to think about what I could possibly whip up for the husband in time for opening day.

Hug a friend!

Thanks for reading.

Advertisements

Recent busy-ness

I finished my wedding veil.  It’s calf length (although I may shorten it once my gown is back from the tailor) and has a blusher.  Instead of flowers or a headpiece, I just stitched sage ribbon across the gathered section.  I was going to add some beading to match my dress, but I want to try everything on together first.

Some friends and I went to a comic book exhibition of sorts at the UPenn museum this weekend.  It was written that prizes would be given out for costumed patrons, so I had to do something.  I went into ye olde costume closet and grabbed my Barriss Offee cloak.  With a few minor alterations (that can be easily undone, of course), it became a Raven of Teen Titans cloak.  I used fabric scraps from last year’s Halloween costumes to make her belt and wrist pieces–lots of felt, vinyl, and hot glue.  The ensemble wasn’t my best work, but it took less than four hours and the effort was recognized…by a comic book guy.  There was no one walking around giving out the alleged prizes, and believe me, I was on the lookout, but I won’t hold it against them.  The event was pretty well geared toward children.  There’s another convention in May that we’ll probably attend, so I’ll likely spiff Raven up for that.

I started the corset for my opening day ensemble this week.  It’s green duck canvas–somewhere between neon and kelly [green].  I wasn’t in the mood for white and red would just be trying too hard.  I haven’t yet mastered the marking wheel and carbon paper, so I’ll be fudging the boning channels yet again.  For some reason, tracing a straight line escapes me.

On my recent trip to the fabric store, I picked up a slick, soft, gray material for the “mistcloak” that I’ll be making at some point.  Read Mistborn.

Thanks for your time.