Odds and ends

Trim sucks.  I’ve been forced to make my own trim to make up for the fabric department’s mild incompetence, and for my lack of attention to detail on my lunch break (there will be a full write-up about that when the dress diary is up).  The initial trim fabrication idea that I decided on still stands, but i’ve also managed to convince myself to do a hand-made trim to cover some machine stitching that shows on the dress.  To add to the monster I’ve created, the main dress fabric doesn’t take very well to strong stitching, so I’ve spent the morning hand sewing velvet strips to the shoulder rolls to cover the fiber fill peeking out underneath.  It was a good time to catch up on some TV.  I’ll be hand stitching from now until opening day.

Thanks for reading!

The upper class project

My original posting prediction has proven true. Here goes occasional update number two.

I’ve started my upper class ensemble. I decided to go with Simplicity 3782 as a starter. Like any person with an overzealous creative streak, I’ve strayed from the instructions – out of spite, I think. I will post a dress diary when it’s complete or when I get stuck and need perspective, but for right now, I’m taking it one day at a time. I’ve completed the machine stitching part (minus any trim) of the bodice, and I decided to go with hand-sewn eyelets instead of grommets (ocs). It’s coming together, but I have to wait for tonight’s biweekly sewing stipend (aka: not wedding funds or living expenses cash that I used to spend on fast food) to hit the account so that I can pick up trim and a few odds and ends. I’ve also, rather unthinkingly, decided to take up crochet again and make knee-high socks (it seemed like a good idea at the time).

Thank you for reading!