Sleepless: Weekend

lying-cat-2-cb
I really shouldn’t tell untruths about my sacred crafting time.

I really only spent one day out of a four-day weekend working on our Sleepless costumes, but progress was made. Since we’ll be heading out a ren faire this weekend, and the kiddos have outgrown all of their acceptable garb, I’ve put my Lady Pyppenia on hold again.

20180520_210454
Much to his dismay, he’s not getting the sword.

Last week’s sewing hours were used on my [not a] baby’s guard ensemble–tunic, pants, and hat. The slouchy pants were traced from a pair of sweggings (slim fit sweatpants, masquerading as jeans), and are made from some sort of jersey that I grabbed at Jomar years ago. They’re thin and super soft, and he loves them already. The hat is purple satin with an interfaced lavender cotton band–nothing exciting, but it looks adorable with his curls. The lavender tunic is the last of some broadcloth that I’d originally used for Her Little Highness’ Tudor-ish Rapunzel gown. The basic shape was traced from a football jersey, then length and width were added to the bottom. I rough cut an old dance skirt into bias strips for the trim, and used a remnant of goldenrod cotton for the Sleepless applique.

20180523_000025
I love little costumes!

One day, I’ll firm up my process for appliques, but today is not that day. I had planned to use Silhouette’s Trace functionality on a photo of the guard logo, but it turns out that this art style, while gorgeous, is absolutely not conducive to copying. Good to know. In the end, I just stacked a bunch of preset shapes together to make the outline. I ironed Silhouette brand fabric stabilizer to the cotton, sent it to the cutting machine, realized that I was supposed to add the EZ-Steam, painstakingly cut out the EZ-Steam against the fabric, then ironed the piece onto the tunic. I used a 2.5” stitch to secure the applique to the tunic, then did a little free-arm embroidery to add the details.

20180527_230740
I, too, feel like I’m being stabbed through the eye while I’m up late sewing, rather than sleeping.
20180528_234154
Stupid applique…

Because he’s four years old and will not accept “no” in any form, the Princeling has requested ears and a tail, like Bini, to go with his outfit. In an effort to avoid spending a stupid amount of money on a small amount of faux fur, I plan to sacrifice a stuffed toy. I’m hunting an unknown prey through our house, and I feel completely justified. After I skin the sacrifice, I’ll stitch it’s soft hide into fox-like ears and a tail, and use magnets to attach them so that I don’t have to ruin my [hours and hours of mostly slapdash handi-] work by adding buttonholes or other attachment points. The tail will also be attached to his belt. The ear magnets will probably need a headband, hidden under the hat. Ugh. This is why I don’t work with kids…for them, sure, but not with them.

20180529_233647
Comic Bini is regal and loyal, I see why the Princeling wants to be like him.
20180529_233638
My commandeered Bini prop will not be harmed in this culling.

The shining gem of the last few days was the Sleepless brooch for the Husband. Same as the applique, I merged a bunch of shapes in 123D Design and ran a test print. I don’t know why I’m surprised when my 3D prints work. I really should have more faith in my ability to learn from YouTube. The only change it needed was to enlarge the slots for the pins on the back. I’m waiting for a few printer upgrades to run the piece in gold colored filament, but they should be done in the next month.

20180528_104103
Stackin’ shapes
20180528_143220
Pullin’ shapes
img_20180528_155017_017
Printin’ shapes

Tonight, I’m going on a resource hunt through the house for the fur and some kid-sized undershirts, then I’ll start on HLH’s gown. As I’m sure you can imagine, their room is a wonderland of toys and cast-off costumes. Hopefully, I’ll emerge with the quest items so that I can avoid another Prime & Pray con-crunch over the next four days.

 

Advertisements

Sleepless: Night One

It appears that I may have finally found my way back around to rennie costuming by way of the beautiful comic book series, Sleepless. I miss the brocades and satin pintucks, the embroidered details and fancy trims, the accessories and especially the layers. As a bonus, I currently detest spandex and zippers with the burning passion of a thousand suns.

SLWorkPile
The green ensemble on the tablet is my goal, and (as of today) this entire project will be made from my stash.

The gowns in Sleepless draw from and expand upon styles from late 15th century Italy. [That’s an oversimplification, but there is a lot of research to pick through.] There are high waists with voluminous skirts and short, rounded bosoms. I’m short, short-waisted, and top heavy, so achieving the correct proportions is going to be super fun!

I’m starting this project with Period Patterns No. 41, “Italian Renaissance Gowns, c. 1470 – 1505”. I spent Night One reading through the pattern notes and process, then I cut and traced my pattern pieces. At that point, I realized that I want a full underdress rather than just an underskirt…because of course I do.

I’m now in the process of scouring my renaissance fashion books and patterns and historical costuming blogs for more information on putting this beautiful beast together to do Lady Poppy justice.

SLCloseUp
It’s just so big! Side Note: The Husband will be dressed as Lord Cyrenic. I can’t wait to get at that cloak.

In my head, the costume will be completed before the book’s return in September. In the next episode, maybe I’ll have the undergarments figured out. Thanks for reading!